Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed the implementation of Maratha reservation law which granted quota in jobs and education for candidates belonging to Maratha community in Maharashtra. It said that there will be no Maratha reservation for jobs or college admission for now.
Meanwhile, the issue of the validity of 16 per cent reservation for the Maratha community under Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Act of 2018 has been referred to a larger bench.
Chief Justice of India SA Bobde will take a call on constituting the bench to hear petitions challenging the constitutional validity of the law. The petitions against the law argue that the total number of quota in Maharashtra exceeds 50 per cent.
Although the decision by a three-judge bench led by Justice L Nageswara Rao halts admissions under Maratha quota this year, the bench said that admission to post-graduate courses will not be altered and those who have already taken benefit of the Maratha reservation shall not be disturbed.
In its final hearing for all petitions related to Maratha reservation, Bombay High Court on June 27 last year had upheld the Maharashtra government’s decision to provide reservation to Maratha community in education and government jobs.
However, the HC struck down the 16 per cent reservation saying that it is “not justifiable”. Bombay HC asked that the reservation number for Maratha community should be brought down to 12 per cent in education and 13 per cent in government jobs.
On November 30, 2018, the Maharashtra legislative assembly passed the Maratha reservation bill providing 16 per cent reservation to Maratha community in education and government jobs under SEBC category.
Shiv Sena's Neelam Gorhe Re-Elected As Deputy Chairperson Of Maharashtra Legislative Council
Will Decide On Metro Car Shed Construction After Consulting With Experts: CM Uddhav Thackeray
Monsoon Session: Legislators Allowed Inside Vidhan Bhavan After Ajit Pawar's Intervention