After Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) minister Nawab Malik announced 5 per cent Muslim quota in the education sector, Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday informed that no proposal regarding the same has become before the state government.
“No such proposal regarding Muslim reservation has come before the Maharashtra government. We will check its authenticity after it comes to us. We have not taken any decision on it yet but some people are already banging their heads on it,” CM Thackeray said.
This comes after Maharashtra Minority Affairs Minister Nawab Malik informed the state legislative council that the state government will soon bring an ordinance to implement Muslim reservation in educational institutions in the ongoing budget session.
However, Thackeray’s remarks contradict the claims made by Nawab Malik. Meanwhile, Maharashtra Minister and NCP’s state unit President, Jayant Patil said that issue has not yet come up in front of the government and all three parties in the MVA government will sit together before taking a decision on the same.
Earlier, Senior Shiv Sena leader and Maharashtra Urban Development Minister, Eknath Shinde also stated that no decision has been taken on this issue yet while adding that the MVA government works as per the Common Minimum Programme (CMP).
Nawab Malik informed that legislation to the effect to provide 5 per cent Muslim quota will be passed soon in the Maharashtra legislative. While speaking in the upper house, Malik assured of taking “appropriate action” in this regard.
Also Read - Now, Uddhav Thackeray-Led MVA Government Debates Muslim Reservation
Earlier in 2014, the Congress and NCP government in Maharashtra had issued an ordinance providing 5 per cent reservation to Muslims along with 16 per quota for the Maratha community. However, the Devendra Fadnavis government failed to enact a law for the Muslims quota and went ahead with legislation for Maratha reservation in education and jobs.